Medical Bulletins and Eye FAQs
Medical bulletins in simple terms describing the effects of pseudoxanthoma elasticum on the eye.
PXE International's Professional Advisory Board answers your questions in the following FAQs:
- Bleeding and Vision Loss
- Eye Treatments and Procedures
- Restrictions to Activities
Other Eye Questions
Lay summaries of important research.
- October 2012: Avastin and Lucentis Are Equivalent in Treating AMD: CATT Two-year Results
- November 2011: Monthly Lucentis - Safe and Effective for PXE?
- May 2011: Lucentis and Avastin Equally Effective for AMD
- May 2010: Retinal Treatments
- May 2010: UK's NHS Looking into Avastin® As Treatment for Wet AMD
- August 2009: Update on Treatments for Retinal Bleeding Caused by PXE
- August 2008: Clinical Trials Comparing Avastin and Lucentis
- October 2007: Finally! Analysis of the Use of Avastin for Retinal Bleeding of PXE
Summer 2006: Treatments for Retinal Bleeding Caused by PXE
Amsler Grid Vision Check
Test the vision in each eye every day. Early detection of a vision problem increases the chance of saving eyesight through timely treatment. The Amsler Grid is a simple test of vision quality that detects even minor changes when they first occur. This easy test only takes a moment for each eye. If you notice any changes in the appearance of the grid such as distortion, blurring, discoloration, dark or missing areas of the grid, or any other changes, call and visit your retinologist immediately! Do not wait to see if the changes will clear up with no intervention. Amsler Grid Vision Check.
Webinars and Video
What to Expect
from a Low Vision Session
Presenter Wendy Mons, 9/2011
PXE and the Eye, presenter Wai Wong, MD, 5/2009
- One Woman's Journey, by JoAnn DeFrancesco
- Two Paths, by Pat Manson
- A PXEer's Success Story, by Pat Manson
- Embrace the Change, by Jan Nesset
- Arizona Department of Economic Security: A Resource for Low Vision Tools, by Charles Harper
- Give Sorrow Words, by Charles Harper
What I Miss Most (about not seeing), by Pat Manson
Learn to use peripheral vision through Eccentric Viewing
Lighthouse International's "When Your Partner Becomes Visually Impaired - Helpful Insights and Coping Strategies"
Guide dogs free of charge to the legally blind
The Test Walk - Partnering with a Guide Dog, by Kent and Jenine Stanley
Four Paws Test Drive - Learning to See Guide Dogs Differently, by Linda Falconiero