What Is the Epidemiological Study?
The purpose of this study is to learn more about the characteristics of the population affected by PXE (epidemiology), the natural history of the disease, and its impact on those affected by PXE. Some of the aspects of PXE that will be studied by this survey include:
- Gender distribution of PXE
- Relative frequency of various presenting symptoms and signs
- Incidence of skin, eye, gastrointestinal, cardiovascular, and neurologic involvement
- Outcomes of treatment for eye involvement
- How people cope with low vision
- Influence of known cardiovascular risk factors on the incidence and severity of cardiovascular disease in PXE
- Effects of PXE on pregnancy
How You Can Participate
- Online (preferred!). Completing the survey online is the preferred method. You will need a valid email address. Submit your email address to PXE International by registering with us. If you don't have an email address and would like one, see these directions for setting up a free email account. You can also use the email address of a trusted friend or family member, and ask them to help you. If you are already registered with PXE International, simply click on the "I am interested in participating" button to get started!
- Paper survey. PXE International can send a paper survey to you by US mail.
- By phone. A staff member can help you fill out the survey by phone. Simply call Abbie Moore at 202-362-9599, extension 252.
All data you contribute is coded so that your personal information (name, address, phone number) can be separated from the information you supply about your experience with pseudoxanthoma elasticum. Researchers do not have access to your identifying information. Results are analyzed anonymously.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call our office at 202-362-9599. Thank you for your participation!